[AccessD] Make query design view look like data view

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 8 11:32:26 CDT 2008

For all you search challenged people (like myself)...

Published by Shamil it seems.  And (hangs head in shame) I have no clue
HOW it works.  If I had to guess I would say that this is a case of "the
query has to be open for it to work", and the form control manipulation
causes DAO to "reach down" into the guts of the querydef and fix things
up.  Not something I would have thought of trying I must admit.

Public Sub ResetToQBEFieldsOrder(ByVal queryName As String)
Dim app As Access.Application
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim fld As DAO.Field
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim index As Integer
Dim frm As Access.Form
Dim ctl As Access.Control

     Set app = Access.Application
     Set dbs = app.CurrentDb
     Set qdf = dbs.QueryDefs(queryName)
     app.DoCmd.OpenQuery queryName, acViewNormal
     Set frm = app.Screen.ActiveDatasheet.Form
     index = 1
     For Each fld In qdf.Fields
        Set ctl = frm.Controls(fld.Name)
        ctl.ColumnOrder = index
        index = index + 1
     Next fld
     app.DoCmd.Close acQuery, queryName, acSaveYes
     Set qdf = Nothing
     Set dbs = Nothing
     Set app = Nothing

End Sub