[AccessD] Prevent opening the database window

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon May 19 07:06:15 CDT 2008

Arthur,

 > Tools, Startup, uncheck the display database window box

This much prevents the database windows from being displayed as the
database window opens.  The database window is simply hidden, but can
still be unhidden by the F11 shortcut.

In order to disable that and other shortcuts you need to uncheck "use
access special keys while in Tools / startup.

THAT only disables the special keys however.  The database window can
still be unhidden from the menu bar Window / Unhide.  Thus to absolutely
prevent the database window from being unhidden you need to do both of
the above, and then uncheck allow full Menus while in Tools / Startup.

HOWEVER... you (the developer) will not be able to get at it as well.
As you might know I have a tool on my web site to allow you to turn all
that stuff back on (and off as well) from an external Access database
(the tool on my web site).

Some developers do things like create a hidden area of the switchboard
that they can dbl click on to unhide the db window, ask for a password
etc.  there are many "programmatic" workarounds should you decide to
tighten things down really well.

So, the question you have to ask is "how far do I need to go to keep the
users out".  Just hide it?  Disable the special keys?  Replace the menu
so they can't get at the Windows / unhide?  And that of course depends
on your users.

A funny story... One day I was walking by a cubicle at my client's
office and saw a user in design view of a table.  I came to a screeching
halt and asked what she was doing.  She replied that she was renaming
some fields in the tables.  I informed her that renaming fields in
tables was not her job and that in the future, if she needed something
like that done in the database she should talk to her boss.

It seems she had attended an Access class and was all set to start
applying her new found knowledge (a little of which is a DANGEROUS
thing!).  The funniest part is that it was a split FE/BE, where the FE
downloaded to her desktop every morning so:

1) She was renaming a field in a linked table
2) She was renaming a field in a FE that tomorrow would be downloaded
anew to her machine.

All of which she was blissfully unaware.  You may believe me, I did not
inform her of those points.

I went to her boss and let him know (just in case she ignored my
warning) and we had a good chuckle together.