[AccessD] Max rows columns in an array

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Mon May 19 20:19:54 CDT 2008

Can really speak for Access, but I use Arrays a fair bit in Excel.

Advantages:

1: You can process data much larger than the limits of Excel (no 65535 row limit for example)
2: Very fast to rip selected data out of a print/text file and then manipulate it (such as creating totals via a collection)
3: Can do neat stuff like create unique lists of entries from large data sets
4: They are just FAST - can process a lot of records much quicker than in the application itself (such as sorting, subtotals etc).
5: You can store massive amounts of data in text/print files and quickly rip in what you need.

Issues:
1: I still struggle to get my head around them sometimes
2: The code doesn't seem logical and easy to follow (probably because of Point 1 above!)
3: It can take a fair bit of work to set up a byte array that strips data from a large print file

Anyway, I like them and think I am only just starting to understand the power of arrays.

regards
Darryl.