[AccessD] Multiple Frontend Users

Tue May 20 08:23:36 CDT 2008

There's no law that says the FE has to be on the user's local hard drive.
Most networks I've come across users have their own personal network
storage, a 'home' drive. I just give them a copy of the FE that runs off
that network drive. Like Jim Dettman I use a version table and have an
automated update process.

(Whisper it: network load be damned). Anyway I don't quite follow the logic
of the claim that the FE on the C drive reduces network traffic. Isn't most
of the traffic fetching data from the back end?

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:53 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Multiple Frontend Users

I was presented with this problem recently and recommended this solution.
The network support people flatly refused it. They argued that in their
setup (with hundreds of users) virtually nothing on the local PCs was backed
up. The local PCs can be replaced and/re-imaged anytime, and users are
warned not to store anything locally, otherwise it won't be backed up. So I
had no choice but to put both the FE and the BE on a network share. The
argument makes perfect sense to me, but I've never done it that way before.
What will happen when a hundred users open a single FE? Should I replace the
FE MDB with an MDE?

Thanks,
Arthur