[AccessD] Virtualization

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Wed May 21 13:24:57 CDT 2008

Rocky,

The main advantage of virtualization is that you can configure a VM one time and reconfigure it and still be able to go back to any version you wanted to. In essence, ease of configuration as opposed to having to set up separate physical machines and making sure that every machine is setup the same way.

So, if your app needed a specific configuration environment it would make sense to configure it once and be done with it.

There's no issue with running an Access app as a published app in Citrix or Terminal Server.

>From the user perspective they are accessing the shared resource over the network using a Citrix thin client layer. Citrix thin clients are essentially the equivalent of dumb terminals in the heyday of mainframes. In this scenario you don't have to install the app on their local machine. All you need is the Citrix thin client layer on their machine.

The main issue with Citrix that I've experienced before is printing about 250 pages in one go. It crashes the server.

Eric