[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue May 27 21:21:03 CDT 2008

LOL.  Well, that is one of the points that we discussed in those
debates.  It all depends on what kind of systems you build, as to what
tools are more often used.  Allowing users to modify, or delete data is
a rarity in most of the systems I build.

Well, not in the way I think you are referring to. I will have a system
where I allow a user to change data, but the data change isn't going to
run into an 'overlap' issue.  For example, the product database behind
our companies website is maintained by our drafting department.  There
is not going to be a case where one person would change a product one
way, and another, another way. Just not how the system is put in place.

But if you think about it, in many cases, concern about data change
overlap should really be concern over the design of the database.  Why
would you EVER have two people making changes to the same field in the
same record at remotely close times?

Data in a record represents something real, in a manner of speaking.
There should only be one right value.  Yes, a value may change, but
change twice within moments?  I'd say 99% of the time, it's going to be
bad design that's the real issue.

Take the helpdesk system I built years ago.  The initial system that was
in place had a 'comment' field that tracked what the IT personnel did to
a request.  So you could have multiple techs trying to write to the same
field.  BAD DESIGN.  The system I built, has interim reports (reports of
work done in progress) and final reports (reports of completed work).
These are records put in their own tables.  So you could have a dozen
techs entering reports on the same ticket, and NO information is
changed, instead, a record is added for each change made, and thus
tracking in a much clearer fashion what was done.

Drew