[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 27 22:20:55 CDT 2008

 > What you are talking about is exactly what I am talking
about, but you are saying 'they want to do it that way, and
it works for them'....ummmm, then why are you trying to find
out what's going wrong?
 > ;)

Process and database functionality are two entirely
different things as you well know.  If this same form were
implemented BOUND in SQL Server there would be no issue.  In
an MDB Be there is an issue.

The PROCESS works for them, they like that method of doing
business.  The PROBLEM is a JET / MDB issue.  I did not
wirte either of those things, I am just hitting a limitation
of the tool.

 > This is where an unbound form would work for you.  You
don't work on ONE record, you create NEW records, but make
it look like one record.

And that is exactly what I am trying to do.  Make an unbound
form, for a single part of the database where this is an
issue.

But you still have to handle the issue of someone else going
into the same record you are editing and editing it at the
same time.

You can call it "creating a new record" if you want, but the
old record still exists and can be edited even while your
user is editing a copy.

Additionally, the REAL (bigger) issue is simply that these
memos and indexes are stored in pages.  If you lock a
"single" memo, you also lock other memos in completely
unrelated records.  If you start an update to an index, you
lock an entire index page, potentially locking that index on
many completely unrelated records.

That is really and truly how the MDB / JET system works, it
is documented, and it is an issue that is about MDB / JET,
not "bound" forms.  I can BIND the IDENTICAL bound form to a
SQL Server data store and never see that problem.