[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed May 28 13:30:14 CDT 2008

Ok, moved on... ;)

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:03 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

Drew,

I have to say, what makes sense to you simply is irrelevant
to this discussion.

My immediate "boss" is a person my age, who was in charge of
program development at one of the large insurance companies
in Hartford.  He is now a Vice President and co-owner of
this company.  He absolutely and completely understands
normalization and all that other stuff.  We have these
discussions on a regular basis about the entire database.
He knows his stuff, and I know mine.  And... HE TOLD ME TO
DO IT THIS WAY after lengthy discussions about this.

My client TOLD ME TO DO IT THIS WAY.  I was NOT given a
choice, I was NOT told do it "the right way".

I was TOLD to STAMP the record with the employee initials,
date and time and place the cursor after the new stamp.  I
was TOLD to do this at the TOP of the field if any existing
data.  This in INTENTIONAL DENORMALIZATION.

The client DEMANDED that I do this, because THEY WANT IT
THAT WAY.  They have their reasons apparently, and in the
end it simply makes no damned difference whether YOU or
anyone else in this discussion think the reasons are valid
or not.

I have received a LOT of "that's a stupid design" crap and I
am, to be blunt, tired of that aspect of the conversation.

I understand that YOU think this is stupid, that YOU think I
really should do separate records etc.  I am happy for you.

NOW, can we move on to more useful discussions?

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.