[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed May 28 13:33:56 CDT 2008

Drew Wutka wrote:
 > Well, we certainly are going around in a circle here,
that's for sure....

Drew, sometimes you are just an idiot (sorry to be so
blunt).  You are not even listening to the discussion.

The crux of the matter is that Access and JET store memos
and indexes in pages and lock the ENTIRE DAMNED PAGE of memo
or index when a write lock is encountered for ANY MEMO OR
INDEX stored in that page.

I HAVE SAID THIS NUMEROUS TIMES!

This affects records completely unrelated to the record
being edited.  This is a KNOWN issue with Access / MDB / JET
data stores.

THAT is the issue.  I HAVE SAID THIS NUMEROUS TIMES!

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!

I am having locking issues writing BRAND NEW RECORDS because
too many people are in the same table at the same time,
which apparently triggers this "locking issue".  Editing
existing records is JUST and ONLY a requirement that I have
to deal with, it is NOT the primary issue.

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!

NOW, you can call that a bound form issue if you will, the
the plain and simple fact is that it is NOT an issue for
bound forms which use SQL Server as the BE, simply because
SQL Server does not handle memos and indexes (and locks) in
this manner.  So it is not SIMPLY and ONLY a bound form issue.

So, now is it a "bound form issue"?  It is indeed a bound
form issue BECAUSE it uses a JET / MDB data store, and the
client is not ready to move to SQL Server (though that is
coming).

So Drew (and EVERYONE ELSE!!!), just STOP.  I respect and
admire you and your ability but you are not being helpful.

I do not need all this crap about "new records" and "bad
design" and all that.  Go start your own thread and wave
your arms and spout whatever you want, I truly don't care
(and might even watch, listen, learn and participate), but
get the hell out of MY thread so I can discuss what I need
to solve the problem.  I have had about 47 posts COMPLETELY
IRRELEVANT to this thread, and I am getting irritated now.

Believe it or not, I have been writing Access databases for
several months now ...

;-)

and pretty much know my way around, except...

I am asking for advice about implementing a simple unbound
form, which has the capability of displaying existing
records or creating new ones, which correctly handles all
the "stuff" of checking for edits of said existing records,
WITHOUT placing ANY locks on the source table except for the
brief instance when the writeback occurs.

ANYTHING ELSE DOES NOT BELONG IN MY THREAD.

Thanks,