[AccessD] Schedule Compact and Repair

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed May 28 15:37:10 CDT 2008

Hi Rocky,

I do the following which has been reliable:

In the app's main form (always open) there is a form timer event (60
seconds).  This event checks to see what time it is against a table which
contains a 'blackout' time period.  If the current time is within 10 minutes
of the begin blackout time, then a 'warning' form opens.  The warning form
has PopUp = True, and Modal = False.  The user does not have the ability to
close the warning form.  The warning form tells the user that the database
will shut down in 10 minutes, displays that time, and presents a progress
bar which shows time elapsed.  The warning form also presents an 'Exit
Database' button for the user's convenience.  (I use a similar form to shut
down users at my convenience.)

At the end of the 10 minute period, the warning form shuts down the
database.

Because the database's refresh interval is set for 60 seconds, the user's
work is saved anyway before the warning form times out and closes the
database.

Also, if someone tries to open the database during the blackout period, a
code check looks for that and kicks the user back out after presenting a
dialog box with the appropriate information.

Now, schedule your Compact in the middle of the blackout period.

HTH!
Dan