[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed May 28 16:07:04 CDT 2008

Dan,

The BE container is on a server and is in 2000 format.  The
FE is on the server and downloaded to the user machines.
The FE container is also in 2000 format.

The actual version of Access used to open the db depends of
course on the version of office installed on the local
workstation.

Under normal circumstances Access is very good about
"backwards compatibility" assuming that you do not use
features in the FE or BE which is specific to a version.  In
the BE that requires (to my knowledge) that the BE container
be in the requisite format, for example there are some
features that are only available if the BE is in the 2002
container format.  In that case however, 2000 office
versions cannot open the FE since JET cannot handle the 2002
container in Office 2000.

It gets a bit stickier in the FE because there are VB
keywords and capabilities (such as binding a form R/W to an
ADO recordset) which only work if the FE is being USED on a
specific version of Access.

At clients where they have mixed versions of Office like
this, I keep the container format in 2000, and I avoid using
features that are not compatible with 2000.

As for "strange errors", these are actually known issues.
It is well documented that indexes and memo fields (and
blobs which I pretty much don't use) are stored outside of
the table in a "heap like" area of the container file, and
that lock issues can and do occur.  It isn't an office
version issue, it is a JET design issue.