[AccessD] Redesign the problem to fit the solution

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 29 12:16:43 CDT 2008

I found this entire discussion interesting on an
intellectual level.

Problem.  I need to knock birds out of the sky.

Solutions:

1) Make sure the birds cannot fly, then you do not need to
knock them out of the sky.

2) A shotgun

Problem.  Editing existing records in an unbound form.

Solutions:

1) Never edit an existing record
2) ...

Notice that in both cases solution 1 does not fit the
problem, it redefines the requirement so that there is no
problem.

I tend to design to classes of problems, not specific
situations.  Given a choice I will design an unbound form
such that I can edit any record from any table.  The class
of problem is that I have an existing record (in some
undefined table) that I need to edit.  It may be a contact
record, or a claim record, or a Claim Type record or (insert
your own table here).

Now I have seen proposals (not in this thread) to save the
entire record and create a brand new record with all the
data from the old record, then edit as desired and save the
new record.  This does I suppose make sense as a change
trail but it is not what I am interested in (nor how I would
implement a change trail either).

I want to edit existing records, from ANY table that I care
to edit it from, in an unbound form.

Having stated the problem class as clearly as I am able,
does anyone out there do this, and if so how?  What issues
did you run into?  How did you resolve these issues?  Did
you end up with a solution to the problem class or did you
end up with a solution to one instance of the problem class,
but which unfortunately does not work for other instances of
the problem class?  Or did you redesign the problem?

I want a solution to the problem class, not one specific
instance of the problem.  And I do not want to redesign the
problem to fit a solution.  If it doesn't successfully edit
an existing record in an unbound form then it does not solve
the problem I am interested in solving.

If you feel that it is necessary to state your solution to
an entirely different problem, please feel free to do so by
creating a thread stating your problem and how you solved
it.  I will likely visit your thread to critique your
solution to your problem, and... I promise not to attempt to
  redesign the problem to fit my solution.

Thanks,