[AccessD] WAY OT: Brains Trust Q - Slow SQL Server 2005

Darren D darren at activebilling.com.au
Mon Nov 17 18:31:10 CST 2008

Hi All

Please forgive the WAY OT Post but I need access to the Brains trust and I know
a lot of you are SQL/VMWare gurus

As this is a way OT post - feel free to respond to me off line to: darren at
activebilling dot com dot au

Moderators feel free to tell me to take it away

We have a Dell server running Linux as the OS (Running Ubuntu I think)

On this Linux server we have a VM Session running Windows Server as the OS

On this VM Session we have our instance of SQL Server 2005 - And it is running
like a slug.

For instance - We copied a live and running SQL 2000 dB onto this SQL 2005 setup
and started running comparisons against each on a large table and the results
were awful.

We started connecting our app to it as well and the results were even worse
(About 12 minutes to open a relatively simple screen)

Whereas the same app connected to the live and running SQL 2000 version runs as
expected

Can anyone advise if this multi layer OS/VM Setup is the likely culprit for the
go slow?

Does anyone know of sure fire things to change and even some things to try or
gotchas?

Also do we know of any analyser tools that we could test the Linux/VM Session
config to see if that level is the culprit before we dig into the SQL 2005
setup?

And anything else you can recommend

Many many questions -

Thanks heaps in advance team - Apologies again for the OT :-)

DD