[AccessD] Using Windows Authentication with Access/SQL Apps

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Nov 25 17:50:49 CST 2008

I tend to disagree.

If the system is designed properly, the database is never "at the mercy of" users, whether
they are using SQL Server or Windows authentication to access the data.

If it is not designed properly,  adding an additional login step is unlikely to do much for your
security.

Setting up your system to allow both authentication methods is the key here.

In Dan's case "mostly just so the database knows who is logging in" - Windows
Authentication is the easiest for the users. Just make sure than these accounts don't have a
lot of power and that any power users/groups are still managed by SQL Server authenticated
accounts.

--
Stuart