[AccessD] Using Windows Authentication with Access/SQL Apps

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 08:08:34 CST 2008

Not necessarily.  Our company/IT department has just implemented a SSO (single sign on) application company wide.  I agree with you that leaving a machine unattended gives access to every app on my machine...I'll even go a step further and say it is down right silly when my Outlook closes due to inactivity...and the SSO instantly signs it back in.

As for the question.  I have not done it with SQL Server...but in Access FE/BE situation...I have turned off the shift-by-pass...and on open the FE checks who is logged on the machine...and validates that username against a table.  The table actually already existed...the user IDs mimicked their Windows ID...and I used it to lookup/display the users full names on reports.  So I didn't even have to change the model.

If the user is not in the table...the app closes.  This has come in handy...as users can no longer share IDs and passwords for the app and they don't have a password to remember other than Windows.

Good Luck,

Mark A. Matte