[AccessD] How to start .Netting

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Fri Oct 17 09:58:28 CDT 2008

Welcome to the future, Andy!  The language you choose in .net is a
matter of choice, although if you're looking for a programming job, C#
and ASP.Net are the preferred skills.  The framework doesn't care which
language you choose but if you want to get started the fastest, I'd
suggest you stay with VB.Net, since it will be the most familiar to you
coming from Access.  You can't avoid ADO.Net, so you'll learn that as
you go along.  It will be easier if you're comfortable with ADO and
classes in VBA.  I started using the AppDev training DVDs because that's
what my company purchased for moving us from Access to .Net, but others
will have recommendations on books and other learning resources.

>>How long is this going to take me
The learning curve is fairly steep, largely because there are so many
choices.  There are many ways to approach almost anything you do in
.Net, so part of the process is learning what works in any give
situation and then testing that out to see if it remains true.

Charlotte Foust