[AccessD] Updating a specific record using VBA.

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Oct 24 02:04:43 CDT 2008

Hi Bobby

For a single update that may be true but for many records like in a loop it is indeed not.
That's one of the ways you can pinpoint an ASP or old-school VB programmer - they write code using endless series of sql execute methods.

I once cleaned up an application made in Access but converted from a previous VB application by someone else. It was well done - no sloppy code - but the client complained about the slowness of an update routine. It ran several interrelated loops retrieving, verifying, and uploading data and pictures from/to an FTP server where all datatable manipulation was done calling SQL code. I transferred this to a system of recordsets and the speed increase was so high that I hardly believed it myself - and I gained eternal guru status at the client!

Thus, as you write:

> .. the .edit/.add methods do have their place.

/gustav

>>> bheid at sc.rr.com 24-10-2008 03:57 >>>
I believe in many cases that the sql methods are faster.