[AccessD] Which Is Faster - DAO or db.Execute?

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Tue Oct 28 19:34:42 CDT 2008

Dear List:

In the detail event of a report, I want to set one of the fields in the
underlying recordset to true.  It's an invoicing report and I want to set
the detail record's 'Billed' field to true.  The Billed field is not on the
report - just a convenient time to set the flag.

Would it be faster to use db.Execute "Update...Where " or use DAO
rs.FindFirst.  The Where part of the db.Execute and the FindFirst both use
TimeSheetID for the search - a primary key. The table is a linked table - so
no Seek.  The number of detail records per invoice is pretty low - average
10-20.  So, not like it's updating a large number of records. So response
time is not an issue.

I wrote it with DAO - just a few lines of code - because I favor DAO.  So
more curiosity for future apps.

MTIA,

Rocky Smolin

Beach Access Software