[AccessD] Dlookups. your opinion please.

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 08:54:56 CDT 2008

Darryl, the first thing I would do is convince the owners that the db needs
to be rewritten from scratch, if at all possible. Unless you're auditing
this thing regularly, there is no way to know when it's generating errors.
If they're iffy on that, I'd work hard to find an error and draw it to their
attention. Say, it reports that you have 100 widgets in stock when you
really have 150, so you missed that big sale to an important client
yesterday because she really needed 130, but because you couldn't supply the
full amount, she went someplace else. Find an error.

Second, domain aggregates aren't bad. Some say they're slow and that would
include me, but um... others thing I'm daft on that one. Gustav (I think it
was) said a simple index on the column takes care of the performance
problem, and if that's the case, that would be fine in most cases -- but in
yours, it might not. Adding an index might blow something up! ;) <drama>

But domain aggregates, in an of themselves, are just fine. With so much to
fix, I don't think I'd give them priority if it were me.

Susan H.