[AccessD] A Query Question

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Sep 29 08:57:57 CDT 2008

Hi Tina

Finish this query to select the records with no aggregating or sorting.

Then create a new query where you use the first as the source. In this you can Group By and Sum as you like.

/gustav

>>> tinanfields at torchlake.com 29-09-2008 15:41 >>>
Hi All,

I have a table with names and other details of persons and organizations
and a table with records of contributions.  The requirement is to craft
a report showing all the contributors who gave at least some particular
amount over some particular time period.  The time period and amount are
selected by the user from a form.

I have a query that selects the pertinent fields from the tblNames and
the tblContributions.  So, I need to craft another query that selects
only those contributions made between the starting and ending dates
(found on the form) and that total the particular minimum amount.  Using
the QBE grid I can easily select all the contribution records from my
first query that match the date criteria provided from my form.  But, I
also want to get totals that match the amount criterion from the form.
I tried using the totals row and ran into trouble right away - it
doesn't like asterisks at all, insists on my putting each field I want
from the first query into the grid - but, then what?  The only fields I
really want totals of any kind for are the MEMID (Group by), the
contribution amount CAMT (Sum), and the date field (Where the criteria
are met).  All other fields I just want to have appear, but I don't know
what selection to make from the totals drop list.  I tried Var, but that
generated a data type mismatch.  So, I am feeling stymied.  Any help?

Probably as soon as I send this plea for help off to the list, my brain
will kick in and I will see what I am not seeing now.

Thanks,
TNF