[AccessD] Web Applications

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:38:47 CDT 2009

Drew:
"... It [ASP.NET] has it's advantages, but there isn't anything you can't do
with ASP and a client side script."
All the user sees is HTML, some style sheets, Javascript, and a bunch of
supporting files (graphics, flash, etc.). From the user's perspective, *any*
platform can deliver the same experience.

The real question is: what can your platform do for you? That takes me back
to my point of frameworks. Take advantage of other people's code, whether
it's a CMS or a more abstract MVC framework. If you do that, your coding
requirements are rather slim. I used a CMS, and got by with a
syntax-highlighting text editor and a Grep tool.

The Javascript stuff is especially tricky, with it's own set of set of
cross-browser incompatibilities. Get a Javascript framework to do the heavy
lifting for you.

There is no need to be a He-man or woman and roll it all yourself. Cheat.
Your users will never know the difference.

William:
"...IE8 Developer's Tools is actually a pretty good port of FireBug to IE8
and comes with every install."
I need to upgrade my Vista machine at work to IE8. When I do, I'll check out
the Developer's Tools. Hopefully they are a big improvement over what IE7 &
6 offered.

-Ken