[AccessD] Keeping your db in tiptop shape

Jeff Barrows jeff.developer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:15:18 CDT 2009

Two comments here:

In my experience, it seems that the mysterious db1.mdb file is supposed to
be a temp file where Access places everything during the compact / repair.
When the file remains, I have found that the file was compacted / repaired
on a network drive from a client pc.  When compacted / repaired from the
same machine the db1.mdb seems to always disappear (actually I believe the
original is deleted and the db1.mdb is renamed to the original source name).

One of the tricks I use to help keep my db in shape (the FE) is to run a
small vb program from every users desktop that goes out to a network drive
and grabs a 'fresh and clean' copy of the FE and copies it over to the
individual PC.  This makes it easy to force all users to run the most recent
version of the FE and helps eliminate the need for a compact / repair of the
FE.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Susan Harkins <ssharkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm guessing that the db1.mdb file serves some purpose.  When I've seen
> it
> > appear it will typically disappear a second or so after the closing
> FE.mdb
> > file closes.  But once in a while it will not disappear.
>
> =====The process is supposed to do away with the copies, but sometimes
> fails
> to, which can be a breach in security, but otherwise, the file is harmless.
>
> Susan H.

Jeff Barrows