[AccessD] Second wireless at other end of house

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 21 16:45:33 CDT 2009

I have a cable modem, hooked to a wireless router with 4 ports.  One of those ports goes to an 8
port switch which is the network in my office.  The wireless is turned on and broadcasting on
channel 11.

I have a cable running to the other end of the house which currently plugs directly into my Media
Center machine which feeds my TV.

I have a second wireless router.  I want to place that router at the other end of the cable
downstairs and use it for two things.

1) To feed the cable to the Media Center PC.
2) To broadcast another wireless signal allowing stronger signal wireless at the far end of the
house.  I would then set the wireless in this router to channel 1 so that the signals are far away
from each other in the spectrum.

I can do #1 by simply plugging in the cable from my office to one of the four LAN ports and plugging
my Media Center into another LAN port, i.e. use the router as a simple switch.

I haven't a clue how to get #2 to work.  I have tried everything I can think of but it simply
doesn't work.

Does anyone have a similar setup functioning?