[AccessD] Second wireless at other end of house

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Apr 21 16:58:02 CDT 2009

What kind of 'cable' is running to the other end of the house?  Another
coax, or a Cat-5?

We used to use DLink wireless access points for wireless access here at
Marlow.  It worked fine, as long as they were plugged into our network.
The only real issue is that in one building we had two, and windows
wouldn't automatically switch to the stronger signal.

This is because Windows sees two separate APs.  And it is deferring to
your wireless settings, so it connects to the first one, and if you
move, it doesn't drop to a stronger signal unless you tell it too.

We now have Cisco wireless access points, which work off of a
centralized controller.  All of the access points are seen as the same
WLAN, so the strongest signal is picked up.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:46 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Second wireless at other end of house

I have a cable modem, hooked to a wireless router with 4 ports.  One of
those ports goes to an 8
port switch which is the network in my office.  The wireless is turned
on and broadcasting on
channel 11.

I have a cable running to the other end of the house which currently
plugs directly into my Media
Center machine which feeds my TV.

I have a second wireless router.  I want to place that router at the
other end of the cable
downstairs and use it for two things.

1) To feed the cable to the Media Center PC.
2) To broadcast another wireless signal allowing stronger signal
wireless at the far end of the
house.  I would then set the wireless in this router to channel 1 so
that the signals are far away
from each other in the spectrum.

I can do #1 by simply plugging in the cable from my office to one of the
four LAN ports and plugging
my Media Center into another LAN port, i.e. use the router as a simple
switch.

I haven't a clue how to get #2 to work.  I have tried everything I can
think of but it simply
doesn't work.

Does anyone have a similar setup functioning?