[AccessD] From a reader -- about migrating Access data to SQL Server on the Web

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Apr 22 09:48:19 CDT 2009

My understanding is that this is not how it is done.

Having the runtime installed on the local machine implies running the FE on the local machine.  The
connections to the database, whether MDB or SQL Server would then be happening over the internet and
the internet (all by itself) does not guarantee packet delivery.  Then on top of that you have
connectivity issues as well as packet timing issues, delays etc.  Access (JET / FE) does NOT LIKE
the internet, and using it in this manner can corrupt MDBs.  Connecting to a SQL Server might make
that problem go away (SQL Server would not corrupt per se) however you still have the issue of
dropped packets

Using Citrix means that the FE is run on a server at the other end, one copy of the FE per user.
Citrix is a "thin client" kind of thing where mouse / keyboard are sent to the server, and video
(screen data) is returned to the local workstation.

This works just fine AFAIK.