[AccessD] Office 2007 and .Net

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Apr 22 11:37:48 CDT 2009

Since I was promoted to being the Network Systems Admin here, I have
done very little development, so I feel a little out of the loop.

The other day, someone asked me when we are planning on moving our
company to Office 2007. Right now, we have no real plans to do so.  We
are currently using Office 2003.  The people that were asking are using
Visual Studio 2005, to work on a custom project.  They want to be able
to use Excel to test their code.  More specifically, they want to take
the code from Visual Studio (I believe they are coding in VB.NET), and
paste it into an Excel macro to test it......

Now, from my understanding, that won't work, because Excel uses VBA, not
.NET, so the code won't work like that.  I was being told that they
though Office 2007 would work like that, but as far as I know, Office
2007 still uses VBA.  Now, I know that you can interact (with any
version of Excel or another Office application) from .NET (or almost any
programming language).  But they specifically want to be able to take
.NET functions/classes and use them in a macro in Excel (without
compiling as a .dll).

Am I correct in my assumption that 2007 still uses VBA, and not .NET for
it's macro language?  And does anyone know if/when Office will be moving
to the new language structure?

Drew

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.