[AccessD] Office 2007 and .Net

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Apr 22 12:51:41 CDT 2009

Ok, so I'm not as out of the loop as I feared...LOL!

Thanks,

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:51 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Office 2007 and .Net

I will say that I do not use 2007 however AFAIK it still uses VBA.
Obviously going to .Net would
instantly break any office objects from previous versions so my guess is
that it will not happen any
time soon.  It would require a clean break on the part of the users and
obviously recoding any
"macros" as they are called for existing Excel apps using vba (or any
other office apps).  It sure
would be cool though to have .net executed natively inside of Office.

Drew Wutka wrote:
> Since I was promoted to being the Network Systems Admin here, I have
> done very little development, so I feel a little out of the loop.
>

> The other day, someone asked me when we are planning on moving our
> company to Office 2007. Right now, we have no real plans to do so.  We
> are currently using Office 2003.  The people that were asking are
using
> Visual Studio 2005, to work on a custom project.  They want to be able
> to use Excel to test their code.  More specifically, they want to take
> the code from Visual Studio (I believe they are coding in VB.NET), and
> paste it into an Excel macro to test it......
>

> Now, from my understanding, that won't work, because Excel uses VBA,
not
> .NET, so the code won't work like that.  I was being told that they
> though Office 2007 would work like that, but as far as I know, Office
> 2007 still uses VBA.  Now, I know that you can interact (with any
> version of Excel or another Office application) from .NET (or almost
any
> programming language).  But they specifically want to be able to take
> .NET functions/classes and use them in a macro in Excel (without
> compiling as a .dll).
>

> Am I correct in my assumption that 2007 still uses VBA, and not .NET
for
> it's macro language?  And does anyone know if/when Office will be
moving
> to the new language structure?
>

> Drew
>

> The information contained in this transmission is intended only for
the person or entity
> to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or
II-VI Business