[AccessD] Second wireless at other end of house

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Apr 22 15:25:24 CDT 2009

Wow, thanks for that.  I may try that eventually.

What I just finished doing is to move the cable modem down into the basement on the wall where the
cable comes into the house.  The cable phone modem is already there, and I had previously placed a
un-interruptible power supply there to feed that phone modem.

So I just placed the cable modem  and wireless modem right next to that.  So the wireless is now in
the basement, but it is directly in the middle of the house (on an outside wall actually), and
directly under my wife's office.  She now has a wireless signal to noise of about 56, where she used
to have about a 36-40.  Quite an improvement of course and to be expected since she is literally
about 8 feet directly above the wireless transmitter.

Unfortunately now I have to do some cable cutting and install new connectors in the middle.

I had a long cable running from my office down a 1" PVC pipe directly down into the basement, then
from there down the length of the house to the living room.  When I moved in to the house, the
upstairs end was just thrown out into the attic next to my office (next to the PVC pipe), and the
downstairs end was just hanging in a loop.  I pulled the upstairs end into my office and connected
it to the gigabit switch, and then pulled the downstairs end down the house to the living room wall
and up behind my media center PC.

Now I have to cut that cable in half, put connectors on the cut ends and plug it into the wireless
router's switch which is now downstairs.

In the end it makes sense to do this, but I had resisted because I had to do the cutting and
crimping of connectors on the cable, and also because everyone said that the wireless should be
above, not below the laptops.

Oh well.

Mary has a very strong signal and keeping the wife happy is of paramount importance.