[AccessD] From a reader -- about migrating Access data to SQLServer on the Web

Joe O'Connell joeo at appoli.com
Wed Apr 22 23:39:52 CDT 2009

Susan,

Access and Citrix work great together.  I have an Access 2000
application that has been running for 10 years on a Server 2000/Citrix
server.  It runs with no problems and has supported as many as 40
simultaneous users.

Citrix was originally developed to add capabilities to Windows NT.
Windows Server 2000 was a huge step forward, but still needed Citrix for
full support of many remote devices.  Windows Server 2003 incorporated
most of the functionality of Citrix.  The main reason to continue using
Citrix was the ability to publish an application for anonymous users.
Windows Server 2008 now includes the ability to publish an application,
so I am not sure if there is still a need to use Citrix.

I also have 3 servers running Server 2003 that support many Access 2003
applications.  None of these boxes use Citrix.

To answer your questions

1.    If there are performance issues, data can be migrated to SQL
server, but it is not necessary to support an Access application in a
Terminal Server mode.  A normal Access FE/BE configuration works fine.
I usually copy a fresh copy of the front end to a personal folder for
each user when they logon.

2.    Only a Citrix client needs to be installed on the remote user's
PC.  The entire application runs on the server.

3.    If the server is running Terminal Server 2003, and there is a
requirement to support anonymous users, then Citrix is required.  If
support of anonymous users is not required, then there may be no need
for Citrix.  If the server is running Terminal Server 2008, then there
should be no need for Citrix.  Without Citrix all each remote user needs
to do is configure a Remote Desktop Connection.

Terminal server is a very efficient and easy way to provide remote
access to an Access application.  An Access FE puts a very light load on
the server, so a "beefy" box is not required.  Tell the reader to go for
it.

Joe O'Connell