[AccessD] From a reader -- about migrating Access data to SQLServer on the Web

Joe O'Connell joeo at appoli.com
Thu Apr 23 07:57:28 CDT 2009

John,

My understanding is that none of your servers are open to the "outside"
world, and the only users are those on your own internal network.  At
home I have a similar small network that incorporates both wired and
wireless PCs.  This is also a closed network that is not open to the
outside world.

At the other end of the spectrum, my company provides hosting services,
so all of our servers must be open to the "outside" world. These servers
are located in a data center that has been designed for this purpose and
that has all of the "normal" security features such as climate control,
power backup, multiple fiber connections from multiple vendors,
redundant hardware, fire walls, etc.

Your setup works for you, so I would not change it just for the sake of
change.  AFAIK Terminal Services are a standard service of Windows
Server 2003.

Susan's question concerned giving access to an Access application
remotely.  In my answer to her, I should have included a caveat that I
was assuming that the server sits behind a firewall and is already
available to outside users.

You have raised another question that I would like to see discussed more
fully.  My forte is application development, not system or network
management which I leave to others, so my knowledge of these areas is
limited.  Under what configuration is a VPN necessary?  What are the
advantages/disadvantages of using a VPN?

Joe O'Connell