[AccessD] From a reader -- about migrating Access data to SQLServer on the Web

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Fri Apr 24 15:59:26 CDT 2009

Susan

...why the conversion to SQLServer in this particular situation?

Citrix can serve an Access BE just as fast as it can a SQLServer BE ...the
key thing to understand is that in thin-client setups ALL or the processing
is done on the Citrix server ...only the desktop video, keyboard commands,
and mouse moves are transferred from the server to the user's terminal ...a
PC is not even required ...certainly not an Access Runtime on the user's PC
...the Access RT would be located in the user's folder on the server, not
his PC ...and he should be thinking Windows Terminal Server, not Citrix,
unless he has a specific need for the advanced functionality Citrix offers
which is not addressed in his question.

...if he can do basic Asp.Net development AND the users have broadband
access, the better solution might be to convert his Access FE to Asp.Net,
put his Access or SQLServer BE on the server and let the user interface the
data through his browser.

...if the users don't have at least a dsl level connection to the server,
they're not going to be happy with the performance in either case.

William