[AccessD] Multiple Shortcuts not working

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Wed Apr 29 19:32:20 CDT 2009

I have a runtime application that installs 2 programs and creates
shortcuts on the desktop to open them.  The programs are ADE's which
connect to 2 separate SQL2000 data bases.  The programs are run
through terminal server.

When I click on the shortcuts with full administer rights each
shortcut works fine and opens the correct program.

If a user tries who doesn't have write/modify rights to the folder
where the access runtime files are stored (eg C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Access Runtime\Office10) then the first shortcut
works ok, but if they then click on the second shortcut the same
program opens as for the first one they clicked.  It doesn't matter
which shortcut they click on first when they log on, the other
shortcut opens the same program as the first shortcut clicked.  The
same program then opens no matter which shortcut they use until they
log off.  Then when they log on again the first shortcut clicked
determines which program will be opened by both shortcuts.

If the users are given rights to modify / write to the Microsoft
Access Runtime folder, then the shortcuts access the correct programs.

We would prefer not to have to give users full access to the runtime
folders.  Has anyone heard of this before?  Does anyone know which
specific file/s need to have modify/write permissions so we can only
provide the rights for those files?

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd