[AccessD] OT Friday: Some interesting news items

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Aug 1 09:05:47 CDT 2009

It's a monopoly.  The state owned Telco are the only ones allowed to operate an
international gateway and they set the rates.  It's the same with international phone calls.
They also set the termination rates for incoming calls which is why it is so expensive for
people to make calls to PNG.

That's why a Skype call to a landline in Australia costs 2.1c per minute but to  PNG costs
80.1c per minute - yep 40 times as much!.

--
Stuart