[AccessD] Moderator Message

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Aug 6 02:01:53 CDT 2009

I think a large problem is that so many Access developers when they
reach a certain stage, begin to find new platforms, different
experiences.

Access is a wonderful db system.  But it's more then just a simple
database.  It has a very functional GUI for both data entry and
reporting.  It has VBA even macros (though most serious developers
rarely use a macro other then perhaps autokeys or autoexec).

So while there will always be questions about something generic in
Access, many of the members have branched out, and while they don't shun
Access, it is no longer the complete tool of choice.  And those branches
have followed several directions.  There are those that use Access' GUI
with a SQL backend.  There are those that use an Access .mdb backend
with another application GUI.  Then there are always those tiny little
'needs a db' things that developers always find a reason to keep Access
around whether they are developing in it at all.

I agree with JC, that we should combine the tech lists, and open the
AccessD list to all IT related questions.  If we stick to a decent
subject line, that should make the threads bearable.  Non-IT posts
should go to OT.

As for those that are stuck with a pay per megabyte scenario....dude,
you need to start a revolution, that's just plain sick!

Drew