[AccessD] Moderator Message

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 7 08:54:27 CDT 2009

One of the things that I resent about EE is that they are VERY good about getting their results in
the Google top N returned results.

So if I DON'T want to view them (and I don't, particularly now that they are a pay only site) I end
up clicking on them by mistake and having to back out.

Jim, I have to say that you appear to have an investment in them similar to what I have in AccessD,
put a lot of effort into them etc.  I think that quite naturally colors your view of their service.

A Google based search is fundamentally different from an email based "search".  In AccessD you ask a
question, with a subject line.  That tags all responses as "of interest to you".  As answers pour
in, you can simply delete any subject not of interest and read your answers.

With a Google search, you have to click into each response, set up a search in your browser to
"find" keywords, and then search down to find whatever.  Remember that what you are interested in
may be the "subject" of the page you are in or it may just be mentioned in passing waaaaaayyyyyy
down the page somewhere.  Or too many times, it is not there AT ALL, the web page owner might have
just padded his page with technical phrases to get you to click on his site.

So Googling is inherently efficient IF the returned hit is in fact directly about what you are
searching for, but that is (in my experience) only true in 10% or even less of the hits returned.
Thus you spend a TON of time reading crap trying to find the gold.

Unfortunately for me, I sometimes get pulled into the crap and read it just because... which makes
the total time to find my answer even longer.

I used to use EE when it was free, because it was there, not because it was particularly "expert".
I usually know enough about what I am trying to discover to be able to differentiate between "likely
to work" and "blowing smoke" or simply "misunderstood the question".  But I have to say that in MY
experience EE was never any better than any of the technical sites about the same subject, and often
MUCH worse.  Any yahoo can answer a question, and many yahoos DO answer questions.

In the more focused technical sites there tend to be "experts" that you can very quickly discern
their contributions and more importantly their names.  It becomes easy to scan down looking for
specific names and concentrate on their answers, since you can just tell that they are the ones with
the answers.  I am not sure EE ever had that, but I never found that to be the case.  LOTS of Yahoo
answers, which might very well be correct but if nothing else required a ton of winnowing to get at
the wheat so to speak.

The nice thing about AccessD is that while we often get many different answers, the vast majority of
the answers actually address the question (ignoring the "wanders off topic") and actually provide
valid technical content.  Wandering off topic is an issue but can easily be handled in preview mode
with the delete key.