[AccessD] Moderator Message

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 10:31:48 CDT 2009

Ken,

  <<I presume they don't have a refund policy.>>

  That is correct, but if you pay monthly, $12.95 is not going to break the
bank either.  But the main reason refunds are not given is  because there is
a large amount of overhead in dealing with refunds vs the small amount of
money involved. If someone decides to cancel, they typically do it close to
the end of the month.  Processing a refund at approx .43 a day is hardly
worth it.

  <<Any site that panhandles so hard for money can't have your best
interests at
heart.>>

  Hum, well unfortunately money makes the world go round as we all know :(

  I'd hate to have EE's bandwidth bill alone much less pay the 50+ employees
and all the support and maintenance for the hardware they use to run the
site.

  I guess I just don't understand why everyone seems to have this
fundamental belief that because it's on the Internet, it should be free to
them. Someone somewhere needs to foot the bill for services provided.
TANSTAAFL.

  But from my viewpoint, the history lesson seems clear; like any business,
you need to make money at it or it withers and possibly dies.  Face book,
unless they decided to start charging folks (which they have been
considering), will be another major player to go that route just like a lot
of other sites that disappeared during the .com bust.

  Sites can't survive on advertising alone.  They need to charge, and charge
enough, or they won't be around.

Jim.