[AccessD] Sending a Text Message From Access

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Aug 7 17:43:20 CDT 2009

Hi Steve

My apologies. No one here deserves to be mentioned in third person. I didn't read the name of the author, and even when I did now, I didn't know at first it was you because my mailer only displays miscellany at mvps.org as the sender of your messages and, as I was convinced mvps presented themselves by real names, I have always believed your name to be Steve Miscellany. Well, laugh, but these days people can have the strangest names.

But - speaking freely - after a real life experience rewriting code with endless series of db.Execute and SQL commands for everything written by a hardcore VB programmer obviously not aware of the power of DAO (and thus missing a 20 fold or so speed increase), I've since then used this coding style to separate VB programmers from real Access programmers who are raised with DAO (or ADO).

The strange thing with your example is that I've always thought that VB programmers - contrary to Access programmers - were quite familiar with writing text files directly which, in this case, probably would be even faster than writing DAO. Can't tell as I didn't study the code that closely.

Susan and editors have learned me to keep example code simple and free of "smartness". Still, I think you always should try to educate the reader that there is code and optimized code, and sometimes the optimized code is only a small step away.

/gustav

>>> miscellany at mvps.org 07-08-2009 21:47 >>>
Dan,

The intention of the overall article is to illustrate a summary example of
the overall process and concept of:
- putting the data together in the required structure
- putting it out to a text file
- sending the file via FTP
- using a third party SMS provider

The data used in the illustration is, of course, a considerable
simplification of what happens in the real scenario.  And the mechanics of
the code to build the data set is not meant to be central or definitive.

Thanks.

Regards
Steve