[AccessD] Access poll

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Aug 8 16:20:44 CDT 2009

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/07/microsoft_word_patent/

A different subject primarily, but this snippet towarsd the end:
<quote>
Bootnote

OpenOffice, touted by many as an alternative to Microsoft's Office, is destined to look a
whole lot more like its prime competitive target in the near future. The largely Sun-
Microsystems-backed OpenOffice has revealed a planned new look and feel that adopts the
ribbon interface Microsoft introduced to its own productivity suite with Office 2007.

The change, part of Project Renaissance, is a risky move: Microsoft's ribbon interface has
served to confuse rather than help users, because of its departure from the familiar drop-
down system of menus to access hidden features. You can see the change here
<http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototyping_a_new_ui_july />.
</quote>

One comment on the linked page sum up my concern about the ribbon - there are lots more
which essentially make the same point.:

"Since 2004 over 90% of the sold new monitors have been widescreen. Whenever possible
spare the vertical space for actual user instead of ui elements."

--
Stuart