[AccessD] Dual monitor laptop

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Dec 2 11:47:57 CST 2009

I have a 22" 1680 x 1050 display hooked up to a KVM switch.  I work on my laptop almost exclusively
*except* for my servers (the point of the KVM switch).  But I am developing  problem in my right
elbow which I think might be related to mousing at an odd angle.  So I decided that perhaps using
the monitor on my laptop might be the answer, then use remote desktop to switch between them rather
than a KVM switch.  Plus, I have always wanted to do the dual monitor thing, leave my email and
billing db on one screen and other stuff on the other.  Or code on one and program on the other.

Things are NEVER simple.  RD comes up in the resolution of monitor one.  Plus, if I am going to do
this the big screen really should be the monitor one right?  Except that typing and mousing off to
the side of the main monitor is just weird!  But I don't have a native USB keyboard to plug in to
the laptop (gonna go order that now).  Etc. Etc.

The monitor itself is cool, looks good, works just fine with the laptop (as opposed to a few years
back when I tried this - different laptop).  Technology has advanced, easier to set up, still feels
strange.

Well, gotta go to work and give this dual monitor thing a shot.

I know others here do this, how long did it take your brain to adjust?