[AccessD] Import errors from Excel

Nathan Hosburgh nhosburg at fit.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:40:12 CST 2009

Hi everyone - I'm rather new to the list and don't have incredible experience with Access.

I've exported data to Excel from a website.  All the data looks ok when it's in Excel, but when I import it as a new table into Access there are errors.  There is a date field that has various date formats: 1995, SUMMER 2002, SEPT-OCT 2005, Dec-08, etc.  I'm not concerned about normalizing the data into consistent date formats... I can leave it as text.  I have done this before with other tables and the data came through fine in Access.  But, this time, some of the dates are coming through in Access as 5-digit numbers.

It's really bizarre.  This happened to me originally a couple months ago, then I did something to make it import correctly.  Now, of course, I cannot remember what it was that I did.  I have a feeling it has something to do with how I save the Excel file, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Nate