[AccessD] Import errors from Excel

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:07:32 CST 2009

The trick I use for things like this is to insert a row above the
first real data row in your Excel file and load something like a sting
of XXXX's into the date field so the import processor will see that as
text and not try to make it into a number. This is needed for Credit
Cards and phone numbers and social security numbers and zip codes.
Access Import will look at the data in the first row and use that to
set the field type in the Access table. So use that to your advantage
and fool it into doing what YOU want it to. Then after the import is
done, go and delete that record from the result data table. Another
recommendation I have is to import into a table that is only used to
receive the import. Then run another query to load it into the final
table you want the data to really reside in. That way you can format
the fields exactly the way you want them in the real table.

Good luck and welcome to the AccessD List Nathan.

GK