[AccessD] A call to the helpdesk

Klos, Susan Susan.Klos at fldoe.org
Fri Dec 11 15:07:47 CST 2009

I am sure many of us have similar stories.  The one that always comes to
my mind was a call from a distraught user while I was on the help desk.

She insisted that there was nothing on her screen when she started her
omputer.

Me: Is the screen (monitor) turned on?
U:  I don't know.
Me: Is there a small light on anywhere?
U: No.
Me: Is the monitor plugged in?
U:  Yes, it is plugged into that thingy on the floor that has all the
plugs in it.  (I figured she was talking about the surge protector)
Me:  OK.  Is the "thingy with the plugs in it" plugged in?
U: Yes.
At this point I was a bit confused so I went to the user's office to
track down the problem.  I found the surge protector was in fact plugged
in--to itself.  I discretely plugged it into the wall and fiddled a bit
with the plugs to make a show of trying to figure it out.  Then I turned
on the computer and the monitor and voila! It worked.  I suggested to
her that if things don't start she be sure the plugs are securely
plugged into the surge protector and that the surge protector is
securely plugged intot he wall.

Susan Klos
Senior Database Analyst
Florida Department of Education