[AccessD] Getting query fields into a report [WAS: Try this one again]

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Tue Dec 22 08:11:40 CST 2009

To clarify this problem a bit...I was a little flustered this morning, and doing too many things at once...I can call a "basic" field, but for some reason, I am unable to call a "created" field. What I mean is, if I call "txtWitLName" I get the witness' last name w/no problem, however what I've done in the query, is to combine the last name and first name, into a single field

Witness: [txtWitFName] & " " & [txtWitLName]

for some reason it doesn't like this, and I always thought these fields were really no different than the others.

I also have to convert the number fields into text...this thing was suppose to be a quickie!

>>> "John Clark" <John.Clark at niagaracounty.com> 12/22/2009 8:45 AM >>>
OK, I am taking your advice, and I've started doing this. I'm finding that isn't all that bad, and I think it will look alright. The trouble I am now having though, is that I am unable to bring the data into the paragraph. In the code, for the OnLoad event of the form, I am doing this:

Dim P1, P2, P3 As String

P1 = Witness
P1 = P1 + " - Being duly sworn, says that he/she attended as a witness on behalf of the People "
P1 = P1 + "before the above court, pursuant to a subpoena or at the request of the District "
P1 = P1 + "Attorney and that he traveled from the City/Town/Village of "
P1 = P1 + txtWitCity
P1 = P1 + ", in the State of New York, which said place is "
P1 = P1 + numMileage
P1 = P1 + " miles from the Court House in the City of Lockport."

Me.lblParaOne.Caption = P1

I've tried other things, but what is the code for getting a field (Witness, txtWitCity, numMileage) out of the query? I don't need to do this the "long" way do I?

>>> "Reuben Cummings" <accessd at gfconsultants.com> 12/21/2009 11:44 AM >>>
I would stick with Access reports.  I make all kinds of reports for
government work all using Access.  And if the formatting is tough to copy
you'd be surprised what you can convince people to change to.
I've nearly changed the culture of "claims" in the state of Indiana.  The
old form was ridiculous - and I couldn't match it.  So I convinced one
county to change years ago and now it's on the verge of being the standard.

And if you are placing parts of your data into pre-worded paragraphs (the
paragraph wording is pre-defined other than your data) do all the paragraph
building in code.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
812.523.1017