[AccessD] OT: Merry Christmas

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Dec 23 08:06:46 CST 2009

Must be nice to have an XBox!  We have kids and my wife is adamant that there will be no game console.

So what exactly are you doing?  A TV Tuner card in your PC?  Connected THROUGH the XBox?

I have built a dedicated WMC HTPC which sits under the TV.  It was running Vista on a "low power"
AMD x2 (2 ghz) and 4 gigs ram, and running MyMovies.  I had sooooo many problems with that
configuration, and it was decidedly not fast!  Vista would completely hang, requiring me to log off,
go to sleep mode or occasionally even a complete reboot.  Just a ROYAL PITA!

One day Vista abruptly decided to not understand the TV video (tuner or already recorded files).
Given the constant complaints from the family about the speed (it really was a dog!) and facing a
reinstall anyway, I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7.  I also decided to do a hardware
upgrade as well, dropped a quad core in and used a flash drive for the boot drive.  I also went with
Media Browser for the archived movies player.

What a different experience.  The machine boots in seconds, Media Browser displays the movies in
seconds, navigates between movies in seconds.  The PC no longer hangs.  Just a blazing fast machine
now.  Windows 7 even knows about clear QAM (unencrypted) digital TV, so I went to the trouble of
mapping the available QAM channels, which includes a ton of music channels.

The family is happy, I am happy.