[AccessD] [dba-Tech] Hub problem

Michael Bahr jedi at charm.net
Wed Dec 30 14:33:28 CST 2009

Hi John, I was responding to the comment about video streaming.  If
anybody tells you you **need** Giga-Bit to stream video then they are just
lying.  You are correct about network servers and such.  There are several
protocals that are used to stream video, one of the more popular ones is
http.  Http maxes out at about 45-50 Mbps.  This is well within the ~90%
of video out there today--as you already observed in your network
performance.  Even raw Blu-Ray video would probrably pass ok using this
protocall.  I have some demo videos that are at 1080P with 5.1 DTS that
streams comfortly to my surprize and oh they look and sound so nice.  When
the time is right I need to buy a file-server to archive my videos.
Newegg has a bunch and so far Synology and Qnap are in the running.

Mike...