[AccessD] Is it cold enough for ya? Haha...

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 11:46:09 CST 2009

Gulp!

Afternoon John.

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: 06 February 2009 17:41
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Is it cold enough for ya? Haha...

What you find is that people use the building materials that are available
to them.  When the US was
growing up wood was everywhere and so it was cheap and available.  That is
now changing as we have
logged our forests to death (literally).

Often times places like Gb and Ireland had lots of stone, but little wood.
Thus they built stone
buildings.

Many places in the US do not have much stone.  Those that did, like the
northeast, did build a lot
of stone buildings.  The great planes have very deep topsoil and flood
planes from the rivers but
little stone.  They did not have forests either, so they built sod houses,
which is simply digging
square bricks of soil and stacking them up around the resulting pit that you
dug the sod out of.

Brick requires a specific clay type of soil and so brick houses tended to be
built where clay is
available, but brick also requires baking so you usually find brick
buildings where there is clay
and ample fuel to fire the bricks.

It is a little easier in modern times to build with what you want rather
than what is available
because transportation is so cheap.  However Americans are (by and large)
familiar with wood, and it
is very easy to build with so they still use it.  We tend to throw up entire
square mile
developments of housing and wood facilitates that. Try and throw up a square
mile of stone houses,
in a place like Florida (pure sand), not a trivial task.