[AccessD] OT: I'm old

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 6 17:27:50 CST 2009

I built my first two PCs from advertisements for parts from the back of Popular Electronics.  My
first home built was purchased and built in 1977, the year before I got out of the Navy.  It was an
"S100" (the backplane standard) z-80 1 mhz processor (could access 64K ram) board with (2) 4K static
RAM boards (dynamic ram didn't exist yet), and (3) 8K static RAM boards, 1 of which never functioned
properly.  So I had a system with 24 K of RAM.  It had a terminal board with 4K of RAM (80 * 24
lines IIRC) and a general IO board with a serial adapter which loaded data from a cassette tape at
1.2 KBaud.  Somewhere or another I found a 16KB "Zapple basic"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapple_Monitor

So I would spend 3 minutes loading the 16K zapple basic into my 24K or RAM, leaving me 8K for my
programs.  That was what I originally learned to program with, although it tended to crash a lot.

My next computer, built in ~1982 was a HUGE step up, a SBC (single board computer), again a kit I
purchased and soldered together.  It used an 16 mhz 80186 uC and had onboard space for 256K dynamic
RAM, although you could use these funky sockets that allowed "stacking" two ram chips on top of each
other to double your RAM to 512k.  The sockets were extremely unreliable so I eventually just
soldered the bottom row of chips, then soldered another set on top.  Bend out the CAS line and
soldered a wire down into the board and voila, 512 Kbytes dynamic RAM hardwired.  WOAH!!!  That was
the system with a dual 1mbyte floppy.  It ran CPM86 and I purchased Turbo Pascal from some French
guy nobody (including me) had ever heard of called Philippe Kahn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Kahn#Borland_.281982-1995.29

At that time (1980-84) I worked for a startup Graphics company called Megatek Corp down in Sorrento
Valley, CA.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5247/is_n16_v12/ai_n28601533/pg_1

At that time they made high end graphics workstations and I repaired those workstations.  In 1983 I
found 4 of their low end workstations in the dumpster and hauled them back in to the plant and
requested to be allowed to keep them.  They were in the dumpster because they were engineering
prototypes and had to be destroyed for "tax reasons".  Like hell I said, and eventually I got
permission to take them home.  My SBC had a pair of "high speed serial" ports and could talk to
these terminals at 128K bit / sec.  The terminals actually used the same processor (80186) as my
SBC, with 512 kbytes of display list memory to build pictures in, and a dedicated video display
"instruction set" firmware in 512K of PROM, which allowed drawing lines (in color!) and doing
"hardware translation / rotation / scaling", IOW the terminal itself could store the picture, and
then make it bigger or smaller (scaling), move it back and forth across the screen (translation) and
rotate the image in 3D.  It could also do polygon fill color manipulation, z-axis hidden surface
elimination etc.

All VERY whiz bang in those days.  These "low end" terminals sold for about $30,000 in 1982 and I
had 4 of them, though I gave 3 away to friends who also had built the identical SBC with me.

I had a friend that wrote Fortran display drivers for Megatek who gave me programming lessons in
Turbo Pascal, and about a year later I had written a complete driver set (interface to every single
graphics instruction that the display understood) for Turbo Pascal to interface to these Megatek
Terminals and had a demo program written that drew a sphere in 3D using triangle polygons, which
could be scaled / rotated / translated.

And thus a programmer was born.