[AccessD] Classes and Events - Feedback

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 11 08:38:18 CST 2009

Thanks for the feedback Jack.

While I can empathize with "Classes classes have always seemed a little complex", they are just like
any other tool in Access.

It took awhile to wrap my mind around the syntax of arrays.  What is the row and what is the column
(they always seemed backwards to me!), how do you dimension them, how do you copy from one to
another etc.  Arrays are a "simple" thing but it takes a few hours of playing with them to get it
all down.

It took awhile for me to wrap my mind around the collection.  How do I insert / delete things, what
is this "key" thing, how do I access the collection using a simple index, how do I iterate it, etc.
  Collections too are simple things, but it takes a few hours of playing around with them to get
comfortable with them.

Classes are just like that.  The difference perhaps is that classes (and events in classes) have a
mystique that gives them an aura of difficulty.  Perhaps you hear "the gurus" discussing classes and
it just seems like something that only gurus use or could use.

Classes are in fact a little more complex than either of those other objects but not much.  They
have only two events that fire automatically as the class opens and closes.  Learning what those do
and how to use them takes a little while.  How and when to initialize using an mInit() type of
method.  How to create variables and properties (we haven't gotten to properties yet) and public and
private methods all take a little while to learn.  However in the end, if you just follow along and
actually do the exercises and step through the code, you will look back and find that classes are
simple things to use.  Like any other piece of Access, familiarity breeds ease of use, it really does.

What you can do inside of a class for your specific project may be quite complex, but the class
structure and abilities are quite simple.