[AccessD] My web site is half up

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Feb 15 21:16:30 CST 2009

Well, my web site is less than half up, but it is at least showing a web page.  The upgrade from DNN
version 3.x to 5.x required an intermediate upgrade to 4.x, which is why I hired the hosting company
to do it in the first place.  Well... that upgrade was less than completely successful.  The upgrade
from 3.x To 4.x was a fairly major change, including moving from .Net 1.x to .Net 2.x.  I suspect
that the version of SQL Server also changed.  Additionally I had used a couple of third party
modules to do stuff, and I think those modules were not compatible with 4.x.

Anyway, my web site is pretty broke at this point.  I expected to have issues, I was hoping for the
best, but didn't get that.

In fact the web hosting people told me that "my site isn't compatible with DNN 5.X".  Now everything
I have read says that 4.x to 5.x is "simple" as opposed to the 3.X to 4.X upgrade so I don't know
quite what to think at this point.  My site is at 4.X and I want to go ahead and get to 5.x.
Basically if it is already broken, I might as well just try to get it up to 5.X and then start
fixing the stuff.

If we happen to have any DNN gurus on the list I could use some guidance.  Otherwise I am going to
continue onwards trying to learn enough to migrate the site to 5.X and repair everything.