[AccessD] Find First in an Array?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Feb 19 11:27:53 CST 2009

Arrays and Collections are going to be faster... in this case.

If you need to open a recordset, and get data, it's going to be faster
to do that, then to pull the data into a collection or array every time.
However, if you are constantly hitting a recordset, you are querying
data either through a network connection, or a hard drive.  Do that 100
times when a form opens, and you'll see a delay.  Load that data into a
collection, and it's pulling everything from memory which is lightning
fast compared to querying a table over and over.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
at Beach Access Software
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:10 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Find First in an Array?

I'm wondering if an array or collection will be noticeably faster than a
recordset since there are about 2500 records in the controls table and
so
it's probably all in memory already.  The fields are not indexed - so
I'll
bet I could get a little boost in performance by indexing the fields I
search on.

OTOH, it's a good opportunity to learn something about classes.  I'll
post
the table layout tomorrow.  But I think to be fair to John and anyone
else
who wants to help, I should go back to all those saved emails on the
classes
class and start from the beginning.

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software
858-259-4334
www.e-z-mrp.com
www.bchacc.com

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.